Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Guided Reading

Today, we talked about Guided Reading. I had fun sorting through the different letters we had at our table. I looked through Q, which is about 4th grade and was surprised how hard the books seemed to be. I'm not going to argue though. I love the aspect of guided reading. Everything about it. We learn in every class how every child is different and how we have to differentiate our lessons. Guided Reading is a perfect example of how teachers go about doing that. Not only do students develop strategies for reading and get one-on-one attention; they develop confidence in themselves and develop peer relationships with many of their other classmates.

On a different note, I wanted to say something about the day when we were editing our basals. I think someone said something about it is hard editing someone elses writing because of their style. BUT, the people who will read our writing aren't going to know us personally. Of course, different authors have their own voice in their writing but that doesn't mean their paper is incorrect. Just because someone has a different style of writing than you do doesn't mean they can write incorrectly. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense, but it does to me :). haha.

Also, I LOVE correcting in red pen. So much, my mom gave me one of hers! haha. I don't know why. I think because I love color and red really POPS!

I'm in a good mood today for some reason! Even though I need to study for our Math test still! :).

1 comment:

  1. Your posts scream that you like color and i really enjoy reading them :). The Q books were a lot harder than i thought they were going to be. They help so much information in them. After going through running records today I have no idea how I would even pick a selection in those books to do a running record. Guided reading really is a god way to have instruction at different levels. Editing a paper that has no grammatical errors but is written differently then you would write it is not wrong just different. You shouldn't change or "fix" a persons paper if the only thing wrong is the style.

    ReplyDelete