Wednesday, September 15, 2010

BASAL TIME

This is how my head feels after writing the BASAL critique.
Ouch. Today, however, was fun. So far, we traded papers with our fellow classmates and critiqued our basal critique. :). It was nice editing and revising someone's paper. I felt like a real teacher! The color tape was very useful and made the paper colorful. I'm a very visual person and having something to use that is colorful, other than pen or a pencil, is awesome.
Activating prior knowledge is important in any subject. Teachers do this during a literacy lesson when introducing a text. After the introduction, have students read and respond to the text. "Think about it, talk about it, write about it, or do something creative with it involving art, drama, or music." Then, extend the text with more samples, modeling, summaries and activities.
Following up for a mini-lesson includes:
1. Independent Practice
2. Application
-Key to successful learning in students.
3. Reflecting About Use
- Did it make sense?
Read alouds are great! I plan on using read alouds to model how I want my students to think while reading a book. It helps teachers introduce a genre most students would never pick up and read. A great teacher can take a genre that is boring to most, and make it exciting and relate it to the students.
Type of Texts:
>Wordless Books
-Building vocabulary and writing prompts
>Predictable Texts
-Repitition. Used for beginning readers.
>Created Texts
-Students create and work on together.
>Authentic Literature
*note to self... look at the terms in the book*

1 comment:

  1. I liked editing other people's paper in a weird way.I actually think it's going to help with my bad grammar. I figure the more I look for errors in writing the more likely I'm going to notice them in my own writing. The only problem was my insecurity with checking other peoples writing I didn't want to make a mistake and correct something that was never wrong in the first place. I enjoyed using the tape as well and was glad it was green (greens my favorite color). I need to look over the chapter too cause all those terms felt like I hadn't seen them enough.

    P.S. I love your pictures I really need to mess around with this blog more my page is boring.

    ReplyDelete